The transition from the summer heat to brisk fall weather can certainly take a toll on your skin. Although stocking up on a quality moisturizer is beneficial, the key to keeping your skin fresh and healthy may be sitting in your backyard. Autumn is the best time to take advantage of pumpkin and its skincare benefits.
Pumpkins offer the benefits like:
- Help promote cell turnover
- Brightens & smooths skin
- Is a natural source of zinc which fights acne
- High in fatty acids and vitamin E
Regardless of the skin type you have, pumpkin-based products can help! Here are a few ways to incorporating pumpkin into your fall skincare routine:
1. Pumpkin Spice Body Scrub
Everyone needs a good exfoliant! They are great for getting rid of dry, dead skin and can help bring back a natural glow. However, it is important to moisturize after any scrub. If you don’t have a moisturizer, simply add a few teaspoons of rich plant oil to your Pumpkin Spice scrub recipe.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup organic canned pumpkin (or homemade pumpkin puree)
- Mix sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon together. Mix with pumpkin. Apply to skin and scrub in a circular motion, and rinse.
2. Pumpkin Puree Moisturizer
This moisturizer should be made in small batches because it will get moldy if left unused. It should be stored in the fridge
In a large bowl mix:
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Store in the fridge and use just like a regular moisturizer!
3. Pumpkin Flesh Facial
It sounds a bit odd, but you can toss pumpkin puree right onto your skin and leave it be for several minutes and be doing some good for your skin.
If you have a little more time, try this facial:
- 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin (puréed)
- 1 tablespoon of soy yogurt or ¼ teaspoon of soy milk
- ½ teaspoon of brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cranberry juice or
- ½ teaspoon oatmeal
Since autumn is the season of pumpkin, put it to good use! Try these DIY seasonal skin care treatments and let us know how you like them.